Backing hammer

From Multilingual Bookbinding Dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search


  • Part of speech: noun
  • Definition: A heavy iron hammer with a short handle, heavy face, and wedge-shaped head, used in rounding and backing books.1

Related terms[edit]



Language Translated term Source of translation (if exist) Sense of translation / notes
Deutsch/German Hammer zum Runden des Buchblockrückens2 ICA
español/Spanish martillo de sacar cajos2 ICA
français/French marteau à endosser2 ICA preferred
italiano/Italian martello da legatore2 ICA
русский/Russian молоток для кругления корешка
svenska/Swedish Falsslagninghammare



  1. ^  | | | | | |  Roberts, Don., et al. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Library of Congress : For Sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1982.
  2. a b c d ICA