Finishing press

From Multilingual Bookbinding Dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search


  • Part of speech: noun
  • Definition: A small press made of hardwood consisting of two parallel cheeks connected by a screw at each end. It is used for holding a book while being lettered or tooled on the spine.1

Related terms[edit]

No value


Language Translated term Source of translation (if exist) Sense of translation / notes
Deutsch/German Klotzpresse2 Kuhn, ICA
español/Spanish prensa de acabado3 ICA
français/French presse à dorer4 Kuhn
français/French presse à billot4 Kuhn
français/French presse de finissure3 ICA
italiano/Italian torchio per legatura3 ICA
italiano/Italian torchietto4 Kuhn
italiano/Italian battidorso3 ICA
svenska/Swedish Förgyllningspress
svenska/Swedish Klosspress


Lying press, finishing, tooling


  1. ^  | | | | | |  Roberts, Don., et al. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Library of Congress : For Sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1982.
  2. ^ Kuhn, ICA 
  3. a b c d ICA 
  4. a b c Kuhn